United States of America
Years in the field:
16 – 20 Years
Areas of Expertise
Curatorial/Collections, Project Management, Strategic Planning
MJH Collections Management, LLC was founded in 2019 by owner and principal collections manager and registrar, MJ Hagan. MJ brings fifteen years of experience in collections management and registration working in institutions both large and small. She holds a master’s degree in Museum Studies with a specialization in Collections Management and Registration from The George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
Formerly Head of Collections Management/Registrar at Hillwood Estate, Museum & Gardens, MJ managed all aspects of the museum’s 20,000+ collection, historic mansion and registration for exhibitions and loans. Prior to her position at Hillwood, MJ held collections management positions at the Smithsonian Institution and the National Archives and Records Administration. MJ’s extensive exhibition and loan experience includes exhibitions on Fabergé, jewelry, costume, textile, contemporary art and sculpture, and more.
MJ is an AAM Museum Assessment Program Collections Stewardship peer reviewer. She serves as Chair, Member Advocacy Committee, for the Association of Registrar’s and Collections Specialists where she leads an effort to create national standards for collections professionals. She is an active member of the following professional organizations: AAM, AIC, ARCS, PACCIN.
Highlighted services include:
- Inventory and collections documentation
- Collections policies, procedures, and forms
- Database management
- Collections digitization
- Accessions and deaccessions
- Care and security of high value collections
- Collections storage assessments
- Collections exhibition assessments
- Exhibit and traveling exhibition project management
- Conservation and exhibition mounts coordination
- Loan registration including loan agreements, insurance, packing, shipping, customs, and courier arrangements
- Domestic and International courier
- Condition reporting
- Object installation and de-installation
- Customized training